Window Terms Harrisburg | Your Remodeling Guys

Window Terms

We want you to be knowledgeable about the service we provide for you, to be able to establish open communication and dialogue. If you have any questions about a term we use, then we have the answer for you! Also, feel free to contact us!
Contact Us Today

Window Terms

Window Terminology for Lancaster, York and Harrisburg Homeowners

Here at Your Remodeling Guys, we believe communication is important and we work hard to keep our customers as well-informed as possible. Here is a list of the most common window terms to help you prepare for your window replacement project.

Argon Gas – A nontoxic gas that is used to insulate glass in windows to reduce heat transfer.

Awning Window – A window that swings outward for ventilation and is ideal for hard to reach places due to being able to easily open the window via a hand crank.

Bay Window – A window style that consists of a combination of three windows that are usually angled at 30 to 45 degrees.

Bow Window – A type of window style that consists of an angled combination of windows in 3,4 or 5 lite configurations. When the windows join together, they form an arch shape that protrudes from the wall of the home.

Casement Window – A type of window style where a side-hinged hash that opens and closes by the use of a crank handle.

Double-Hung Window – A type of window style that consists of two vertical operating sashes.

Double Pane Window – A window that consists of two panes and includes argon gas filled in between the panes for additional energy efficiency.

Fixed Panel – A panel on a sliding glass door or slider window that is inoperable.

Glass – A transparent material made up of silica, soda and lime with small amounts of aluminum, boric or magnesia oxides.

Glazing – The panes of glass or plastic in a window, door or skylight.

Head – All the horizontal parts located at the top of the window frame.

Hinge – The moveable joint that allows a window to swing open.

Jamb – The vertical part that is located at the side of the window frame or the horizontal part at the top of a window frame.

Latch – Also known as catch or lock, it is the device that holds the window shut. Latches can be located at the meeting rail of a double-hung window or mounted on the stile of casement windows.

Masterframe – Sections of a window that consist of the head, sill and jamb.

Pane – Also referred to as light (lite) or window light, a pane is a sheet of glass that is used for glazing a window.

Sash – The part of the window that contains the glass. The sash is separate from the masterframe.

Sill – The bottom, horizontal part of the masterframe.

Single-Hung Window – A type of window style in which one pane is operational while the other pane is stationary.

Sliding Window – A type of window style that involves the pane gliding using rollers and a reinforced rail system.

Stile – The vertical edge components of a window sash

Triple Plane Window – A window that consists of three panes and includes argon gas filled in between the panes for additional energy efficiency.

Window – An opening in an outside wall that usually consists of a frame, sash, glazing and operable components.

Window Frame – The frame of the window that holds the casement or sash and the hardware as well.

Window Unit – The entire window including the sash and the frame.

Extreme Home Makeover
York Builders
Remodeling 550
Top 50 Fastest Growing Company
Business of the Year
Your Remodeling Guys